A healthy, super-easy dinner is just minutes away with Mexican Flatbread Pizzas with a tasty black bean sauce. Top with fresh vegetables, and feel really good about serving your family a vegetarian meal they'll love!
This is one of my go-to meals when the day has been crazy and the thought of standing behind the stove for an hour just makes me want to grab a box of cereal and head for the couch.
You have those days, too, right?
And then, on top of your weary bones, you have to come up with a healthy dinner that no one at the table will grumble about … well, that’s a big ask.
That’s why Mexican Flatbread Pizza needs to become part of your meal repertoire, stat! Chop up your favorite vegetables — which you can do ahead of time and stash in the fridge — and heat up a quick-and-easy black bean sauce.
And then assemble! I love to use mini naans that I found at the grocery store for individual servings, but you can use any flatbread. Schmear a generous layer of the black bean sauce, and sprinkle the veggies on top. Even the kids can help! And if you have picky eaters, they can choose their toppings for their own customized Mexican Flatbread Pizza.
Then bake, and serve to oohs and aaahs.
This meal is easily made vegan by leaving off the dairy cheese and sprinkling a little nutritional yeast or vegan parm seasoning on top instead. Also, read the labels on the naan/flatbread: sometimes they’re made with dairy products or eggs.
Full of rainbow veggies and protein-stuffed black beans, everyone will crave Mexican Flatbread Pizza, and it’s so quick and easy, you won’t mind making it!
Mexican Flatbread Pizza
- 1/4 cup salsa taco sauce, or enchilada sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 15 ounce can refried black beans
- 4 mini naan or flatbreads
- 1 heaping cup diced vegetables*
- 1 tablespoon cilantro minced, for garnish
- shredded cheese or nutritional yeast for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the salsa (or taco sauce, enchilada sauce) in a small pot over medium heat. Stir in the paprika, garlic powder, and lime juice. Add the refried black beans, and heat until the beans are loose and spreadable.
- Arrange the naan/flatbread on a baking sheet.
- Spread a thick layer of the black bean sauce on the naan/flatbreads.
- Sprinkle the vegetables over the sauce, dividing them evenly across the naan/flatbreads. Top with shredded cheese, if using.
- Bake for 5-8 minutes, until thoroughly heated.
- Remove and sprinkle cilantro and nutritional yeast, if using, over the tops. Serve immediately.